Care of Handmade Soap
And make it last longer!
Rustic Urban Soap Co creates beautiful handmade cold processed soaps, made from scratch, and contain no synthetic hardeners like many commercial soaps. Handmade soaps also have a naturally high glycerin content - a humectant which is great for your skin except glycerin attracts water and if left in standing water, the soap will break down quickly. Most commercial bars, the glycerin is removed which is why chemical soap bars hold up better in the shower.
We want you to get the most out of a handmade bar of Rustic Urban Soap, so we have devised a short list of ways to help you get the most out of your handmade bar of soap:
- Keep your soap in a dry place out of the stream of water in between use. A slatted wood or bamboo soap dish is brilliant.
- Do not store you soap in plastic when not in use, this prevents airflow and can result in the soap "going off". Instead store your soap wrapped in paper and in the linen cupboard or other dry place, this is yet another reason why we sell our bars in a recyclable box.
- Try not to store your soap bar out in the open, in humid areas, the soap bar will attract the moisture in the air and the soap will 'sweat' and breakdown, again another reason we have chosen our packaging.
- Over time the scent and colour can fade, this is true for anything, not just handmade soap, our soap is best enjoyed in the shower or bath, not left standing in the guest bathroom for many years :)
- Wet a loofah and rub the soap over it to create a rich, dense lather to wash with, it certainly helps to get a longer life out of a bar of soap.
- keep it out of your eyes or it will sting (rinse thoroughly with plain water if this occurs),
- Discontinue using if irritation occurs.
- Be sure to check the ingredients if you have allergies. Be aware that some soaps have ingredients that may bother sensitive skin (cinnamon, citrus, mint, etc.), and that exfoliants can be scratchy.
- Soap is slippery when wet, take care not to step on a wet bar while in the shower.
- And finally, we know the soaps smell really good, (and many people seem to think its my fudge I love to make) but please do not eat the soap or wash the kids mouth out with it.
Hope you enjoy our soaps as much as we love making them, And if you have any further tips, let us know and we can add them xx